And you yourself also exhibit some good characteristics and some bad characteristics as a leader.
So, here are some of my observations over the period of time I have been lead and been a leader.
- Some leaders speak more, listen less
- Other leaders listen more, speak less
- Some leaders leave wide open spaces
- Other leaders make it simple and clear
- Some leaders lead with their heart
- Other leaders lead with their mind
- Some leaders embrace differences
- Other leaders want consistency
- Some leaders want individuals
- Other leaders want teams
- Some leaders are clear
- Other leaders are ambiguous
- Some leaders are passionate
- Other leaders are unemotional
- Some leaders see people for whom they are and what they bring
- Other leaders see a need for people to conform
- Some leaders are friendly
- Other leaders are figure heads
- Some leaders are big picture
- Other leaders are small picture
And even after all this, no one leader is the same, no one person is the same, and everyone is generally trying to ensure success.
For me, it is about finding the combination of characteristics in leadership that match and result in the best outcome for the team and the organisation.
If it was a simple formulaic matter, then everyone would be brilliant leaders, it is however a combination of skill, style, experience and a twist of fate that provides us with the great leaders.